Franklin came to us while we were on vacation 8 or 9 years ago. My mother was watching the house for us and saw a kitten out front by our lilac bush. She decided to call it "kitty, kitty" hoping to get it to come closer so she could pet it, instead he ran right into the house (that was her story anyway). When we came home she informed us of our new pet, welcome Franklin. He was a shy cat, fond of naps and pretty much kept to himself. He was my buddy and never very far from me. He enjoyed a good belly rub. He wasn't the brightest cat though. He spent the first years of his life indoors (must have had a traumatic beginning, no wonder he zoomed into our house so readily) and it was just in the past few years that he started venturing outdoors. It wasn't very long after his first outing that he disappeared. We figured him gone, when two weeks later he made a miraculous reappearance (hence why I gave him two weeks before claiming him dead this time). Skinny and lonely he was so happy to be home he never ventured back outdoors for a couple more years. This spring the call of adventure must have been strong because he mustered up his courage and headed back outdoors only to disappear again, this time a week. After nursing his wounds he only made one hour trips here and there. Well I guess something went horribly wrong on his last adventure. I miss my petting cat, I only hope his death was quick and painless. I'm not sure how the big guy feels about us praying for pets, but if you could slip one in for Joe's cat Spooky and his safe return I know one little boy who would be grateful. Farewell Franklin!
A journal of everyday blessings, craziness, laughs, blah, blah, blah...
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Farewell Franklin
Franklin came to us while we were on vacation 8 or 9 years ago. My mother was watching the house for us and saw a kitten out front by our lilac bush. She decided to call it "kitty, kitty" hoping to get it to come closer so she could pet it, instead he ran right into the house (that was her story anyway). When we came home she informed us of our new pet, welcome Franklin. He was a shy cat, fond of naps and pretty much kept to himself. He was my buddy and never very far from me. He enjoyed a good belly rub. He wasn't the brightest cat though. He spent the first years of his life indoors (must have had a traumatic beginning, no wonder he zoomed into our house so readily) and it was just in the past few years that he started venturing outdoors. It wasn't very long after his first outing that he disappeared. We figured him gone, when two weeks later he made a miraculous reappearance (hence why I gave him two weeks before claiming him dead this time). Skinny and lonely he was so happy to be home he never ventured back outdoors for a couple more years. This spring the call of adventure must have been strong because he mustered up his courage and headed back outdoors only to disappear again, this time a week. After nursing his wounds he only made one hour trips here and there. Well I guess something went horribly wrong on his last adventure. I miss my petting cat, I only hope his death was quick and painless. I'm not sure how the big guy feels about us praying for pets, but if you could slip one in for Joe's cat Spooky and his safe return I know one little boy who would be grateful. Farewell Franklin!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment