It all started with my mother's bird Quigley dropping dead. Next it was Franklin our cat and a few days later with Spooky. Darn my mom and her "death always happens in 3's". Unfortunately it has held pretty true over the years. It always seems to happen between our family or people close to us... I guess the odds are in favor of that happening, but it sucks either way. We almost thought we lost our third cat in a month last week, Payton's precious cat Goopy. I'm pleased how ever to report he seems to be doing well. A week ago in the evening something bad happened. Neil and Payton were lifting up the couch to retrieve something the ferret drug under there (probably a slipper, I can't remember), when there was a scream "Goopy No!" I ran to see what happened, only to see Goopy doing the crappy flop on the floor. That is never a good thing. There was much commotion and screaming. Joe said he saw Nakita bite him on the head. Really not a good thing. After a few seconds we all chilled a little and bent to examine Goopy. He was still flopping around but there didn't seem to be any blood. Finally the flopping stopped and he became very still and not the good kind of still. I watched as his eyes glazed over and he barely had any breath in him. We then noticed blood coming from his nose. Really, really not good. I can not stand to watch anything suffer. I have many stories of me putting various animals out of their misery. I freaked Neil out once early in our relationship by thunking a baby rabbit with a shovel. Our dog had bit it and guts were coming out of its abdomen (another thing that is not a good sign), I frantically handed Neil a shovel and asked him to kill it. He handed it back and told me he couldn't, I took the shovel...thunk...no more suffering. I think it was in that moment that he decided to never mess with me. Anyway, glazed eyes is not good, the cat was dying. I knew this and ran upstairs to get my pistol. I was not about to let him suffer needlessly. Kids saw the gun and freaked. I explained what was happening and they agreed but of course were distraught, as was I. I decided to try my luck and asked Neil to take him outside and shoot him, "no way" was the response. This was a good thing because it made me take a step back and re-examine whether or not I could do it either?? While I was pondering what to do Goopy was still on the floor and breathing, but with no movement. Neil decided to pick him up, that involved some scratching and being dropped on his head, probably that wasn't helpful. But he was still alive. It was then decided that I needed to give the poor guy a chance. I agreed but kept the gun nearby, just in case. Well, Neil (yes the same cat-hating Neil) held on to him for quite awhile, keeping him warm. After about an hour Goopy tried to walk. He mostly fell over and seemed very confused and almost like he couldn't get his legs to work. More than likely head trauma, spine or a neck injury. I made up a box for him with a heating pad and we laid him in it. We decided to see if he would make it through the night, although I wasn't holding my breath. Needless to say he did and he got stronger every day there after. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say he is going to be fine. I'm not sure he will ever really be normal again, but for now he has his appetite back and even plays with the other cats. Hopefully as his brain continues to heal, more of his Goopyish traits will return. I like to think we were the recipients of a small miracle. I'm telling you that cat was dead. Either way he certainly lost a good 7 or 8 lives on that one.
P.S. My Dad has requested that I not be allowed in his hospital room if he is ever on his death bed. He said he prefers to have a fighting chance even if that means he has to suffer just a little.