Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The New School Year

Wow did the summer fly by!! I can't believe I'm staring down a new school year already. I do plan on a few changes for this year. I've decided to let a few things go and focus more on some other things. I'm going to adopt a few more of Charlotte Mason's methods and revamp our schedule accordingly. The Charlotte Mason method stresses more living books, narration and exploration and less sit down, workbook, memorize these names and dates. I want the kids to be more in charge of what interests them and learn about that. When given the reins they are automatically interested in learning. I homeschool because I have different thoughts about education and realize I need to let go of what everyone else wants me to do and do what I want to do. There are so many other non-traditional ways a child can learn and darn it I'm going to go for it (following Wisconsin's rules of course). Montessori schools and many charter schools use the methods of Mason and Holt successfully so I can too. Here are just a few things we have going on for the new year.
Writing class. Finally going to use the Institute for Excellence in Writing's program. I had it all last year and it just never happened. Luckily another Mom in our co-op has the program and decided to invite a few other families to complete the program with them. Yay!! I really wanted to focus on both kids improving their writing and it is finally happening!! Thank you Sarah!!
Spanish. I bit my lip and ordered Rosetta Stone for the kids to start Spanish lessons. It wasn't cheap so I'm hoping they will enjoy it.
Co-op. We quit the co-op we were going to that was 45 min. away so we can focus on the one 15 min. away. It is still in the early stages and I look forward to helping get that up and running. We will be going to that 2x a month on Tuesday afternoons plus a field trip about once a month.
History and Science. Both the kids enjoy these subjects so we will continue with the curriculum I have and continue on. I need to move a little more quickly though in History, we've been on the same 1 year book for 3 years now. It's time to finally get to the Middle Ages. Science will bring more chemistry and physics and we will finish up in biology. These texts are quite advanced even though very simply put and my kids love them.
English. Less focus on grammar and more on just writing well (hence the writing class) and reading great books. The rest will come.
Piano for Joe. We have found a new teacher just 5 min. away vs. the 1 hour we were driving. YAY!! Joe will be going once a week now and his lessons will be 45 min. long. I'm excited, him not so much.
Horses. Payton is still in love with horses and rides several times a week. We will be pursuing this passion a little more through 4-H which has an excellent program.
Socialization. Oh the big subject homeschoolers hate being asked about and everyone else freaks out about. YES my kids see other kids, they are not kept locked up in a cave and honestly with the exception of 1 or 2 families I know, most homeschoolers find they are too busy. Here are just a few things we do to keep in contact with the outside world. 4-H, 1 to 2 times a month. Sunday School, 1x week. Co-op 2x/mo plus another 1-2 for other related activities. Faith Keepers Club, 1x/mo. Writing class, 1x/week. Field trips 1x/mo. Skiing, 4-10/mo. When it comes down to it we have something going on 1-2x a week that involve other children and several other things that involves all ages, which honestly I think is more important.
Anyway that is our potential school year in a nut shell. The nice thing is I can revamp it all if I feel the need at anytime. We have had one writing class but officially our school year starts this Friday as we take off for 10 days to go to LifeLight Christian Music Festival in Sioux Falls and then on to Yellowstone afterwards. What a great way to kick off the school year don't you think?? Keep us in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment